It’s all too familiar: the dazzling array of explosions in the night sky, the all-pervasive popping of firework cans, and the nervous trembling of your pet pooch cowering in a corner. Fireworks can be a very traumatic experience for our four legged friends, thus it’s essential that we do everything in our power to ensure our dogs are calm and relaxed during this loud and chaotic time. Here, we look at how to keep your canine companion at ease during the fireworks season.
1. Redirecting Your Dog’s Attention
Sometimes our dogs can become distracted, either by the environment or other dogs, when we need them to focus on us. To make sure your pup is attuned to what you are saying, try this simple technique.
To make sure your furry friend is focusing on you:
- Stay on your pup’s level- Instead of staying upright, put yourself close to the ground. This way, your pup understands that you are inviting them to pay attention to you.
- Break eye contact- A puppy that is too focused on you without breaking eye contact can be easily distracted. Therefore, try breaking eye contact every few seconds, then re-engage attention.
- Use treats- Provide your pup with rewards every once in a while to further encourage your pup to remain alert.
This technique can help make sure your pup is listening and following your instructions, allowing them to better understand their boundaries.
2. Keeping a Routine During Fireworks
Fireworks are an undeniable part of any celebration, and it’s no different during the summertime. While it’s exciting to watch the sky light up and hear the explosions, all this loud noise can be disruptive, especially when it comes to keeping a regular daily rhythm. Here are some tips for keeping your routine going during firework season.
- Identify the peak times: Fireworks typically follow the same general pattern throughout the entire season in most places. Knowing when fireworks are typically set off within your area can help you plan your day and evening around them.
- Find the spots that are firework-free: If it is possible, try to take refuge in an area away from the source of the fireworks to avoid the noise.
- Consider sound-proofing gear: Investing in some soundproofing gear helps a lot in keeping the outside noise at bay if you are unable to get away from the area altogether.
The best way to protect your own routine from the disruption of fireworks is by taking the necessary steps to lessen the impact this yearly spectacle can have on normal life. By following the step mentioned above, you can make sure that your summer fireworks do not interfere with your well established routine.
3. Training to Reduce Fear From Noise
Overcoming fear of noise can be a daunting process and there is no single solution. However, with patience, practice, and the right guidance, you can experience a great sense of accomplishment in your goals.
Strategies to reduce fear of noise:
- Learn to recognize the feeling of fear
- Focus on calming yourself down when you hear unpleasant sounds
- Try exposure therapy to experience the sounds in increasing intensities
- Involve yourself in hobbies that keep your mind off the noise
- Make sure to practice these techniques regularly
You can also seek professional help from therapists and psychiatrists who specialize in treating noise phobias. Cognitive-behavioural therapy is one approach that can be quite effective in reducing fear from noise. This therapy employs techniques like relaxation, breathing exercises, concentration, and relearning the perception of fear-inducing noises. With the help of your therapist, you can set goals to reduce fear from noise and learn strategies to manage it.
4. Ensuring a Safe and Comfortable Environment
A safe and comfortable environment is essential for any activity that takes place. It will impact the way people interact and feel, allowing them to fully express themselves to the best of their capabilities. Here’s what you can do to ensure a relaxed and cozy atmosphere.
- Adjust the Lighting: Consider the lighting of the room and how it can help or hurt the overall vibe of the environment. Adjust the light level so that everyone feels content and not distracted.
- Check the Temperature: Make sure the temperature of the room is at a comfortable level for everyone. No one likes to be too hot or cold in an area, so try and keep the temperature at an inviting level.
- Provide Seating Arrangements: Have some seats available so people can have the option to sit down and relax. They should be arranged in a way that provides enough space for people to move around and talk.
- Control Room Volume: Be mindful of how loud or quiet a place is. If it‘s too loud then people won’t be able to communicate properly. As well, if it’s too quiet then it may make everyone feel awkward.
All of these things can go a long way in creating a safe and comfortable environment. Situations like these require some thought and preparation to ensure that everyone has a pleasant and inviting experience.
From ensuring a secure space to introducing mental stimulation activities, there are many ways to help keep your pup calm during the Fourth of July festivities. No dog should have to experience the stress of fireworks, so be sure to implement these easy strategies this Independence Day to keep your pet relaxed and content.